Data Protection Statement
The Northern Ireland Social Care Council is responsible for registering social workers and social care workers, for regulating their education, training and practice and for investigating and dealing with complaints about the conduct of social workers, social care workers and social work students.
This statement explains how we will use the data we collect about people registered by the NISCC and people who apply for registration with the NISCC.
We will use the information that you and others provide to:
- consider your initial and continued suitability to be registered
- update and maintain the Register
- keep in touch with you
- produce statistics
When considering your initial and continued suitability to be registered we may:
- verify your qualifications by sharing your information with organisations such as universities, colleges, awarding bodies, bodies assessing qualifications, etc.
- investigate and seek information about material we receive about you that may affect your suitability to be registered
- share information with your employer/Degree course provider about the outcome of your application and any decisions made in relation to your registration
When updating and maintaining the Register we will:
- update your details
- provide the following information to the general public on request and on the publicly available
- Register on our website:
- your full name
- your registration number and the part/s of the Register in which you are registered
- the postal town where you work/study
- the fact that you have been removed, admonished or suspended from the Register by a Conduct Committee (where applicable)
- provide the following additional information to your current social service employer/Degree course provider:
- the outcome of your application and of the reasons for our decision
- once you are registered, provide the following additional information to your current social service employer, and to any other social service employer considering employing you:
- your full work address (unless it is your home address, or the NISCC is satisfied disclosure may expose you to danger)
- your qualifications
- any conditions and warnings we impose on your registration
- decisions (and reasons for them) made in relation to your registration, for example, the outcome of hearings which may include suspension and removal from the Register.
Who may see your information:
We will provide employers with information about any qualifications held, any conditions imposed on an individual’s registration, any period of suspension, and any admonishment we impose at any time.
We may exchange relevant information about registrants with other regulatory bodies and similar organisations in the United Kingdom and in other countries:
- to maintain the register
- if we have reasonable grounds for believing that a registrant may pose a risk to the public, for example through dishonesty, malpractice or other improper conduct
In any case, where we share information about an individual’s registration with an organisation outside the UK, we will only permit that organisation to process their personal data for the purposes of fulfilling regulatory responsibilities equivalent to the responsibilities of the NISCC. In relation to information about an individual that we disclose in this way, any such organisation would be bound by security and confidentiality obligations equivalent to the obligations imposed on the NISCC by the Data Protection Act 1998.
Keeping in touch with you includes:
- contacting you about your registration
- sending you regular information about the Register and our work.
Preparing statistics includes:
- Using some information about you to monitor trends and provide reports about our Register and the composition of the workforce. These reports provide statistical data but do not identify individuals.
Your rights under the Data Protection Act 1998
The NISCC is registered with the Information Commissioner and data supplied by you on this form will be processed in accordance with the provisions of the Data Protection Act 1998. The Data Controller is the NISCC.
The personal information that we have used to make a decision about your registration is kept to enable us to regulate the social services workforce, and protect and enhance the safety and welfare of all persons who may use care services. It is kept for the duration of your registration. Where your registration comes to an end, we will keep your personal information for your lifetime plus 10 years, as per Department of Health, Social Services and Public Safety agreed Retention and Disposal Schedule for records.
You are entitled to ask the NISCC for a copy of the data we hold about you. Your request must be in writing, by letter or email. If you wish to exercise this right, you should write to us at the Northern Ireland Social Care Council, 7th Floor, Millennium House, Great Victoria Street, Belfast, BT2 7AQ.